Saturday, June 17, 2006

Eidolon Introduction

ei·do·lon
n. pl. ei·do·lons or ei·do·la
1. A phantom; an apparition.
2. An image of an ideal.
[Greek eidlon, from eidos, form]

Ever the mutable,
Ever materials, changing, crumbling, re-cohering,
Ever the ateliers, the factories divine,
Issuing eidolons.

From Eidolons, a poem by Walt Whitman


In my day job I'm a combat artist for the United States Marine Corps. You can see my combat art and read about my experiences at www.mdfay.blogspot.com. This new site will be devoted to my non-military artistic pursuits, in particular photography.

The world is a magical place ripe with visual flotsam and jetsam and I hope to share my occasional rendezvous, while spelunking in Plato's Cave, with what Walt Whitman celebrated in his poem, Eidolons.

This first set of photos were taken during January of 2005 in Ramadi, Iraq.







s.





12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike,
I really love the photo of the coiled rounds. I would love to buy a copy suitable for framing from you if it doesn't belong to the USMC.

2:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a smart idea for keeping the focus on art by seperating your blog into two this way, M.D. Fay! Your photos are always intriguing; still trying to figure out what more than a couple of them are, specifically 4 and 5 down. I hope it gives you an outlet from which you can leave the rhetoric on your other blog behind at times, and just as you wrote, be right-brained and refreshed by that aspect.

9:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bottom 3: Cargo strap with hook, red paint on metal, ammo center fire possibly .308 caliber?

10:00 PM  
Blogger mdfay said...

#7,The ammo is actually 7.62 x 54R.
#4 is a stack of weathered sheet metal and #5 is a cargo strap with hook.

5:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops, my bad, I was looking at all the photos at once, starting with the flag one; so the 4th and 5th one down from THERE (although I was just guessing on the sheetmetal, but the hook - I got that one! ;-) ) Thanks!

9:25 AM  
Blogger mdfay said...

beth*a......In that case #4 is a pile of used stencils and #5 is packages of water bottles.

9:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful images!

9:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have an eye for the lovely.

11:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, those silly millimeter measurements. Looks pretty close to the .300 Win Mag that is fun to knock off varmints with.

6:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Water bottles???? Wow, they look... sinister; I was thinking some sort of artillary shells all packed up together -lol. Water bottles....

How very (deceptively) mundane! ;-)

Great photos all.

11:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whitman--totally incredible.

11:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the ammo rounds. Who'd a thunk that would be so pretty? :)

8:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home